As broad bean season nears it's end we are taking full advantage of the last few in the garden and making the most of the warmer weather.
The thing I love most about this recipe is that there is always someone to help with shelling the broad beans.
· 250g dried chickpeas
· 250g shelled broad beans
· 2 garlic cloves crushed
· 1 tsp ground coriander
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· splash of Tabasco
· 1 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
· 1 cup coriander chopped
· 1/2 cup chives chopped
· zest and juice of a small lemon
· 4 tsp plain flour
· 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
· vegetable oil for frying
- soak chickpeas in cold water overnight
- drain and discard liquid and process in a food processor until mashed and add broad beans, herbs, spices, tabasco and lemon and continue to process until a smooth paste has formed
- add flour and bicarbonate of soda, season with salt and pepper
- roll into small patties and place on a tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate for about 10 minutes
- preheat oil and deep fry in small batches until golden, a few minutes or place in a non stick pan or on the barbeque with a little olive oil if you prefer
- enjoy with some yummy rolls or pitta bread and houmous
So what are you up to?
What are you having for dinner?